Tuesday, March 8, 2011

The Joy of Snooker

Snooker, apart from being a card game (*correction: billiard game :) that I have no real knowledge of or experience with, is also a game played in USDAA agility trials. Unlike AKC trials, with their Standard, JWW, and sometimes FAST classes, USDAA trials include a wide range of games such as Gamblers, Pairs Relay, and an assortment of tournament and team classes, as well as Snooker. While many people prefer the straightforward nature of AKC and are not interested in the games offered by USDAA, many others prefer the variety of training and handling challenges presented by these classes.
Personally, I have always been a huge fan of the Gamblers class, in which dogs are allowed to gather points during a timed “opening” sequence, followed by a timed “distance” challenge during which the dog must perform a sequence of varying difficult while the handler remains at a specific distance. The challenges increase in difficulty along with the distance between handler and dog as teams move from starter level to master level. I have always marveled at teams that work flawlessly, communicating complicated changes of flow as well as difficult discriminations or weave entries with limited handler assistance.
Pairs is a game that I could really do without, as teams must rely on one another to qualify. I do appreciate the challenge of having my dog remain in the ring under control while our partner completes their half of the course, however, you are at the mercy of your partner when it comes to receiving a Q. Additionally, the burden of guilt rests on your shoulders if you are in fact the team to disqualify the run.
As for Snooker, people tend to either love it, or hate it. I used to belong to the latter group, now I may actually have shifted to the former. Previously, I viewed Snooker as a game which required sloppy, jerky, panicky handling in order to steer the dog around course without the dog taking an incorrect obstacle. Snooker, I believe, was designed to test the training of speed in addition to control on the part of the dog. It also inspires careful strategizing on the part of the handler, as well as the ability to “think on your feet.”
There are many rules involved in Snooker, which is part of why the game is so difficult to learn. The course is set up to include three or four “red” jumps as well as roughly six “colored” obstacles. The basic rule of the game is that you must earn points by taking a “red” jump correctly, followed by one “colored” obstacle for points. After three or four (depending on the dictates of the course) “red” jumps are taken, the dog must complete the “closing sequence” of 2-7 numbered obstacles and cross the finish line. The trick is in the layout of the course, with challenges including the distance in between the red jumps and the layout of other obstacles. Teams must strive for as many points as possible within the time limit, but should work to keep a smooth and relatively flowing course for the dog to handle. Runs can become ugly when handlers opt for a strategy that includes attempting to guide the dog past incorrect obstacles, and may resort to screaming or micromanaging. The trick to completing a beautiful Snooker run is to come up with a strategy that collects a good number of points as well as creating a relatively logical path for the dog. This doesn’t always happen. Other rules include the mandate that a “red” jump must be completed successfully before attempting a “colored” obstacle, so if a dog knocks the bar on a red jump, the handler must alter the strategy “on the spot” in order to find and complete a different “red” jump. Most times, the dog will keep running and take the wrong obstacle as the handler tries to figure out what to do next! There are many other rules handlers must keep in mind during their strategizing, and attempt to remember on the fly if their plan goes awry. This is not a game for the weak at heart.
I considered teaching this game to my students for months before I was actually brave enough to make the plunge. We had previously played Gamblers and FAST, in addition to our standard and JWW courses and the typical smaller sequences we train with. Although I wanted to provide them with a complete education, I hesitated to present this game knowing that it was likely to result in frustration and irritation. While I presented the rules as clearly as I could manage, Snooker is unfortunately one of the games you “learn by doing.” Although I had to whistle many of my students off the course after only a few obstacles at times, it was far better to learn the rules in class rather than in a trial setting where you’ve paid an entry fee, only get one shot at the course, and may get whistled off without really understanding why. No class runs faster than Snooker, as teams may find themselves at fault as early as two obstacles into the run, and are excused from the ring. While I realized being faulted and made to leave the course during training might result in some anger and irritation, I realized this is one of the most potent and memorable ways to learn. Speaking for myself at least, I can say that situations which have caught me by surprise and resulted in emotion are in fact the lessons I don’t forget. I hope that my students will forgive me for the experience, and hopefully took away a better knowledge and understanding of the game as a result! We did in fact run a “standard” sequence at the end of class so that everyone had the opportunity to complete a sequence, and I believe everyone handled the lesson very well. The class seemed to have a good grasp of the rules as well as successful plans for handling by the end of the session, so I was naturally very proud of them! We probably won’t be playing Snooker again anytime soon though….
Xander and I on the other hand, having only run Snooker twice at the Starter level of USDAA, will be presented with our first opportunity at Advanced Snooker this weekend at the Pals and Paws trial. Hopefully I can take some of the lessons from last night and find a successful strategy for us. If not, we will get to try again the following weekend in Winter Park at the Dog-Gone-It club trial! Have I mentioned how much I love agility lately?

4 comments:

  1. Loved snooker! You did a great job of presenting it! Bekka says thanks for the fun time :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, and I'm glad you enjoyed it! And to Bekka I say it is a pleasure teaching you and your mom, just ease up on the chomping next time ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Snooker's my favorite! But I too hated it initially. It wasn't until Chase and I made it to Masters and earned our first Super Q (he got *first* place - a dog who never placed in anything...) that I really started enjoying it. That realization that the game was all about strategy and not necessarily speed was great!

    See you guys at Dog On It! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The strategy is really fun! I usually stink at strategy (example: checkers) but I think I am getting the hang of this...I hope ;)
    Definitely see you at Dog-On-It. We had such a blast last time we were there in November, I am so looking forward to it!!

    ReplyDelete